Here's a word of advice to ppl who feed stray dogs regularly....most of you give the dogs biscuits and the like to munch on. Instead you can feed boiled eggs! The egg white is number 1 in protein digestibility & has the perfect amino acid profile, and good quality protein is very important for dogs.....while biscuits don't provide much in the way of nutrition. Also, feeding the dog an egg (which costs around Rs.3) turns out cheaper in the long run than a packet of biscuits, say Parle G (which costs Rs.4). But feed only BOILED eggs with the SHELL REMOVED to avoid infections like salmonellosis.
You can follow the procedure below.........
- You can check how fresh the egg is by immersing it in a bowl of water : if the egg sinks & lies on its side at the bottom of the bowl, it is completely fresh. If it stands up but stays at the bottom, it is partially fresh. If it bobs up & floats on the surface, it is rotten & it's time to chuck it.
- If the egg was kept in the fridge, first bring it to room temperature before boiling, to avoid it from cracking.
- Immerse it in a vessel filled with water. The height of water should be atleast a couple of inches above the egg.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water and boil.
- After it is fully boiling (big bubbles) switch off the gas.
- Cover the vessel immediately and keep it covered for around 15 minutes.
- Take out the egg, let it cool a bit if it's too hot to handle & remove the shell properly.
- Feed it to the dog in question.
- Watch it gobble it up!